Merchant ID Setup
This section addresses the means by which a department can accept credit card payments from customers. TTUHSC, as part of the current system-wide agreement uses Global Payments Inc., to process credit card transactions. Other credit card processing options, known as 3rd party solutions, are available for departments in rare instances. Departments choosing to utilize a 3rd party solution, will be responsible for merchant account setups, physical and electronic security of credit card information, costs associated with credit card transactions, and following established accounting procedures.
- To start the process, please refer to TTUHSC OP 50.37, Payment Card Processing by TTUHSC Departments, for a complete list of responsibilities and requirements related to accepting credit cards for services at TTUHSC.
- Next, complete the Merchant ID form (TTUHSC OP 50.37, Attachment A)
- Section 1 is requesting departmental name/contact information and confirming which card types (MasterCard/Visa, Discover, and American Express) the department wishes to accept,
- Section 2 is confirming whether or not the department currently accepts credit card payments or has an existing MID on file, and
- Section 3 is confirming how many terminals the department will need, and where to ship the credit card terminal(s) to.
- Once completed, please send the MID form, along with the following information, to Accounting Services. Accounting Services will then work with the credit card companies to set up the MIDs.
- Types of services being provided/goods being sold,
- FOP for monthly credit card fees,
- Expected annual revenue sales, and
- Average ticket sales (i.e.- if the department is offering a continuing education class, how much does it cost to register for the class)
- Once the MIDs are established, Accounting Services will work with the TTUHSC Credit Card Processor, Global Payments, to order a terminal (terminal will be pre-programmed to process departmental MID payments) and have it shipped directly to the department, for set up.
On average the setup process takes approximately 1-2 weeks to complete; however, it can take longer, as we are relying on external sources to complete their portion of the request.
The current terminal used by departments is the VX520, which is “EMV/chip card” enabled and can be purchased at a one-time cost of $345 per terminal, with an optional monthly warranty cost of $5. Please note that the warranty does NOT cover future terminal replacement due to the terminal becoming outdated. The terminal may also be rented at a monthly cost of $17 per month per terminal.
Departments will need to submit cash receipts, through the TTUHSC Cash Receipts System, to record revenue from point-of-sale credit card transactions to their departmental FOP(s).
The following is a summary of what is required to utilize eCommerce services at TTUHSC. Details are available through the TTUHSC Information Technology website, at https://hscweb.ttuhsc.edu/it/is/paws/ecommerce.aspx , under the "Browse the full list of IT Services" section.
- Requesting eCommerce Service:
- An eCommerce Service Request Form must be submitted for all eCommerce applications. These requests must be approved by the requesting Department Head, Vice President for Information Technology & CIO (or Assistant Vice President for Information Services), Accounting Services, Institutional Compliance (if applicable) and Institutional Security Officer (if applicable) prior to implementation. All eCommerce applications must utilize the Texas Tech University System eCommerce Payment Gateway unless otherwise approved and all web pages that access the TTU System Payment Gateway must be hosted on web servers located in the central Data Center.
- If the e-Commerce request requires a new merchant ID, complete the Merchant ID Information Form (see TTUHSC OP 50.37, Attachment A). A separate form for each new merchant ID request is required. Once the Merchant ID form(s) are completed, submit them to the Credit Card Accountant in the Accounting Services department.
- The development of all e-Commerce web applications will follow the applicable guidelines outlined in TTUHSC OP 56.01, Use of Information Technology Resources including but not limited to sections 1.4.20 and 9.5. The requesting department may develop the web application to the point of integrating it with the Texas Tech University System e-Commerce Payment Gateway. However, only Information Technology personnel may perform the work of integrating the application with the TTUS e-Commerce Payment Gateway.
- The eCommerce Service request must be completed and approved prior to any merchant ID setup or any web application integration with the TTUS eCommerce Payment Gateway.
- Requesting an eCommerce Service Exception (Request to Use PCI DSS Compliant Third Party Vendor for Processing eCommerce Transactions):
- As mentioned above, all eCommerce applications must utilize the TTU System eCommerce Payment Gateway unless otherwise approved. In some cases, consideration may be given to the use of a PCI-DSS compliant third party solution for processing eCommerce transactions, which are not processed through the payment card processor covered under the system wide credit card agreement. To request this exception, an eCommerce Service Exception Request Form must be completed and approved by the requesting Department Head, Vice President for Information Technology & CIO (or Assistant Vice President for Information Services), Accounting Services, Institutional Compliance (if applicable) and Institutional Security Officer (if applicable).
- Proof of PCI-DSS compliance from the vendor or other credible source should be submitted with the request.
- Because these items are not processed through the payment card processor covered under the system wide credit card agreement, the requesting department will be responsible for obtaining the Merchant ID from the external party.
eCommerce transactions processed through TouchNet are set up to automatically post revenue to departmental FOP(s). The department does not need to process cash receipts through the Cash Receipts System to record revenue for eCommerce TouchNet transactions.
Address:3601 4th Street STOP 6274 | Lubbock, Texas 79430-6209